Wednesday, November 11, 2009

"Feminist" Mentalities

Well another poster on Brooke's blog has come up with another snide remark, and since have had more than the two shots allotted, I'll respond here.

Bruce in Montana made this comment followed by a rather amibiguous reference to "feminists":

"So Rebeck hah feels that Raymond’s children should have gone 20 years without a father instead of 5. Amazing."

My response:

Yes, I feel Raymond's children are better off without him. Raymond does not respect the law of this land, women, or the rights of children. He did not respect the life of the young girl who sacrificed her childhood to bear his child. He did not respect the life of that unborn child. He is NOT a good father, no matter how good of a show he puts on in front of others. His young daughter is far safer without him in the home than she would be with him in the home.

I have sympathy for all of his "wives" and their children. I'm sure they miss Raymond. I'm sad that they belong to a family, group and religion that set them up for this pain. However, respect for the law is part of what makes our country a wonderful place to live. Whether you believe the laws are good or not, unless they ask you to actively or passively harm someone (which, might I add, "marrying" underage teen girls IS harmful as is polygyny) then the law should be obeyed and you can strive to change it through lobbying or the courts, but to simply break it -- say by taking drugs, having sex with children, or helping yourself to items which are not yours, is wrong. The parent who teaches such things, either by example or through actual sermons and lessons, is failing their children.

Yes, Bruce, I think Raymond should have gotten the maximum penalty. It is what he deserves.

I wonder, does the man who kills someone in a drug related shooting deserve "less" time if he has a wife and children at home? Even if he's their ideal father and husband I have to think the answer would be "no". The fact is, when you make choices you have to face the consequences. Perhaps if the FLDS and the LDS had figured that out a long time ago, instead of blaming everyone but themselves for the consequences of their terrible choices, a lot more innocent men, women and children would have lived longer, happier, and more peaceful lives. Don't blame me for Raymond's decisions or the pain he has caused his family. I didn't put a gun to his head and make him be a terrible example of manhood.

2 comments:

  1. Brooke Adams is a journalist for the Salt Lake Tribune who has a blog about polygamy issues called The Plural Life. Her blog can be found at http://166.70.44.68/blogs/plurallife/

    She tends to try and put a human face on the FLDS issues in particular from what I've seen. Of course, I've only followed her blog since the YFZ eruption, so I'm not sure what she might have covered before that.

    ReplyDelete