Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Useless Information that I Think You Should Want to Know

Well, a bit of fun this week. I gave my Yorkie too many treats (the gristle and fat from meat I was preparing for a beef soup -- usually I split them up between her and my son's two dogs and this time I gave them all to her) and she got diarrhea. Then, before this cleared up, I let someone talk me into trying a new food for her with Omega 3 in it. Her diarrhea continued AND my son's big dog got it too. We are back to the Beneful and I am lighter in the wallet because I had to get some doggy Immodium and some antibiotics for my Ella. (Her bottom was so raw she was bleeding and we were afraid of infection. But they're all feeling fine now and (a blessing, I assure you) I haven't had to clean up a stinky pool of poo in over 24 hours.)

Less fun is the news that my great Uncle is failing fast. He's about 97 year old and he lost his wife of 70+ years about six months ago. I'm going to offer to drive my grandmother up to visit with him if my uncle can't do it for her. Uncle Harold is a really fantastic guy and I'm really sad that he's moving away from life. I understand that he's tired and missing the love of his life, but I'm still sad.

Always fun would be my fantastic grandchildren. Baby Logan ( 2 1/2 months) is now smiling and gooing at people (when he isn't giving us the skeptical eyeball look) and I hope he starts getting interested in exploring his world on his own soon. He spends a fair amount of time in a snuggli. Aidan is too cute, as always. Yesterday his brother was playing on PBS kids and Aidan came over and told him; "Excellent work, Kai! You are very good!" (Aidan has classic Autism. We cherish every case of self-initiated social contact. We also are grateful that his younger brother Kai is as close in age as he is and as spontaniously social. He has helped his brother learn to be social simply by not understanding that Aidan really doesn't care most of the time.) Kai loves his Head Start program (which he calls school) and his speech is growing by leaps and bounds. (It is notable that a portion of younger siblings of autistic children have significant speech delays that generally start catching up at about Kai's age -- he just turned 5.) So it's great that Kai is talking more, and more clearly, and Aidan is initiating activities with his brother and cousins.

I am failing miserably, again, at Nanowrimo, but I'm going to try to get going again. I'm not terribly optimistic since I'm the main cook for Thanksgiving too, but I'll work on it anyway. I DO want to be a published author one day and I won't give up on it.

So now you know more about my life than you ever cared to. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment