Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Little Logic Applied to God and Goddess Theology

A poster on The Plural Life posted this little bit of Mormon theology for the edification of others:

"The quote leaves many things to be desired.

It left out that not only men, but also women were on the road to Godhood if they love God with “all their heart, might, and mind”."

Of course he leaves out the part where, for women, that means bowing down before any Mormon male who has managed to convince others he's a "priesthood holder" regardless of the pain he causes to those around him.

"That women were co-creators with their husbands."

Really? It's odd that the Book of Mormon has no information at all about what Elohim's wives (and supposed Goddesses) have created. Just what did these Goddesses create? Who created what?

"That just as a wife should be “obedient” to her husband, so also should the husband be obedient to God."

Be "obedient" ladies. Just like the men who slaughtered innocent men, women and children in the Mountain Meadows Massacre, you too will be "blessed" by your unthinking "obedience" to men. Pay no attention to the fact that one of the leaders was sacrificed by his obedience so that Brigham Young (and isn't he a FINE example of someone to be obedient to?) could sweep the matter under the rug and pretend he had nothing to do with the looting and bloodshed.

"That the man is “pulled through the veil” by another just as the wife is pulled through the veil if found worthy. Thus, both are on the same path, together, if each honors their respective covenants."

Gods and Goddesses – not just Gods and their wives."

Who prays to "Heavenly Mother"? Which one would they pray to? Is it, or is it not an excommunicable offense to attempt to discuss, write hymns to, or define any of Elohim's "wives"? Just what are these Godesses the Goddesses of? What authority do they have? What power? What function -- besides giving birth eternally?

These sorts of blatant, false bits of propaganda irk me to no end. I've had other Mormons (men, each and every one) try to make the same claim. Sorry guys, but it doesn't fly. Granted, it probably makes YOU feel better about your patriarchal religion which relegates women to second (no make that third-class since now even black men can have the "priesthood") status, but it's a lie. And it's not even a GOOD lie. Let's look at it with just a tiny bit of logic.

If a woman was on the road to her own godhood, she'd be pulled through the veil by either her God or her Goddess directly just like the man is and regardless of any man's own salvation. If your faith truly believed in Goddesses, there'd be some information on them, not the resounding silence. Oh, and here's a newsflash for you, contrary to oft-spoken Mormon belief, a woman's sensibilities are not so fragile that someone taking their name in vain is a tragedy. As a mother, I've had my name taken in vain by my son's friends many a time -- I told him the same thing I'll tell you -- I can defend my own name; if I think it's even worth discussing. Any Goddess worth her salt would certainly be able to stand proudly at her God's side and defend her subjects. The fact that the Mormon Goddesses are MIA says all that needs to be said about Joseph Smith and Brigham Young's view of women. To be even more clear, Elohim doesn't have co-creator Goddesses with him -- he simply has a huge harem.

Why women submit to the misery and pain of the Mormon belief system has always baffled me. Of course, they aren't the only ones to be betrayed by a patriarchal religious belief. Ladies, of ALL faiths, take your power back. There is NO reason to sacrifice your own just wants and needs because some man tells you that a male god says so. Use your brains, use some critical thinking, allow yourself to LIVE!

4 comments:

  1. HI I know you follow megans-polyblog and I feel greatly that we have been scammed in a way. I know now she is a blunt liar. She posted a picture up of her so-called ultrasound and I found that picture on another family's blog at

    http://iflifegivesyoulemons.com/2009/01/07/25-week-ultrasound-december-18-2008/

    Plzzzz help me expose this person for who they really are, A LIAR!

    Oh and if the little silly bored girl tries to remove it hoping not to be exposed, I have hit Printscreen and made a copy of her blog entry!

    UGHHH I was so loving her blog! It sucks that she is fake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the information, LovingAllah4ever. I think the ultrasound is rather suspicious -- no sign of the twin nor is it nearly as good as ultrasounds are nowadays -- but I'm not going to try and go to Megan's blog and cause any conflict. Even if she is lying, it's a free internet and she can post pretty much any fantasy she wants to (as long as it's legal). I go to her blog to see the "pro" side of polygamy.

    I don't believe polygamy is healthy at all. In fact, I believe religious polygamy is actually a form of slavery, but I don't think it is right, or in good taste, to go to another blog and start hurling accusations or insults.

    Sorry I can't be more supportive but that's just the way I feel about net-ettiquette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Megan just ranted about how NOT perfect her life is and how she almost got booted from her family.

    Doesnt it make ya want to sign up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. *snort* I couldn't make it in monogamy -- polygamy would just be the same dysfunction squared. Granted, it wasn't JUST me that messed up the marriage, but since he's been happily married for at least 15 years and I've been happily single for 25+, I'd have to say a large part must have been me. I just don't play social games well -- not even married social games. ;)

    ReplyDelete